At The Brass Academy, we believe our courses are the finest available for brass musicians aged 8-18. Here are some of the reasons why our courses are so good.
- Our courses are solely for brass players, so the tuition and repertoire is tailored specifically to their needs. Much more time is spent playing than brass players would ever get on an orchestral course - no endless counting of rests here!
- Our tutors are outstanding brass players, who are also brilliant at working with children. They include Paul Beniston (Principal Trumpet with the LPO); Philippe Schartz (Principal Trumpet with the BBC NOW); Simon Morgan (Horn player at The Lion King in London); Christian Jones (Principal Trombone with Opera North); Lee Tsarmaklis (Principal Tuba with the London Philharmonic Orchestra) and Pete Smith (Principal Tuba of the Philharmonia Orchestra).
- Every afternoon there is two hours of organised sport, run by our talented, enthusiastic and inclusive course sports teacher James Barringer.
- The children on our courses are helped to play their very best, while at the same time really enjoying themselves in a hard-working, energetic, supportive and fun atmosphere.
- There are daily masterclasses from the tutors on particular aspects of brass playing.
- The Workshop, an advanced course-within-a-course run specifically for those who have passed their Grade 8, provides a great opportunity for advanced students to work with those of a similar ability while being tutored by world class musicians.
- Each course includes a course competition in which every child plays in a relaxed and informal atmosphere, allowing individual attention and advice to be given.
- There is a fun and varied programme of evening activities for those staying on a residential basis.
- We are now in our ninth year and have unrivalled experience in running successful courses for brass musicians.
- Our “house” system puts children into one of four houses, and throughout the course they earn points for their house – for great playing, good answers to tutors’ questions, kind or helpful behaviour, and during the sports sessions and evening activities. Competition between the houses is fierce and team spirit runs high!
- We are lucky course after course to attract wonderful, fun and enthusiastic children who are keen to learn and to make new friends.
- For children in the brass band world, we offer a great opportunity to expand their horizons and explore orchestral, chamber, jazz and film music.